Tuesday 9 August 2011

More parts in the front

Not a great deal of updates recently but I've managed to make some progress.

The Large Data Port (LDP) was fitted into the frame as was the utility arms and front vents.  I also fitted the dome drive and the ankle bushes in the outer ankles.



For the outer ankles, I put the bushes in the freezer overnight and before drawing them into place with some long bolts and flat washers, I heated the ankles in the oven.  The bushes didn't glide in but it wasn't too difficult and they're now in there to stay.

The dome drive has been fitted and the retaining spring mounted on a custom fitting turned by Fred.



The LDP wasn't too difficult and is only held in with two M4 bolts.  There are many mounting holes provided on manufacturer Dave Shaw but they are only for options and two does the job just fine.

The utility arms were a different matter.  They are beautifully machined by Russ from RB Replicas.  Thankfully, the waterjetter, when I had my frame cut, had centered all of the holes from the original plans by Jerry Greene.  I remember when I first collected the parts, I wasn't sure what most of the centre marks were for but they've come in very handy.  After some brainstorming, we decided to cut a recess into the arm carrier frame to seat some brass bushes.  The next problem was to decide how to cut the flat-bottomed recesses.  I suggested that since the frame was made from aluminium and we only had to make four cuts, we manufacture a cutting tool to do the job.  Fred liked this idea and got to work producing a custom cutting tool from a piece of stainless steel.



After the recesses were drilled we installed hinge bars though the utility arms and made the brass bushes.


The parts that I've ordered and I'm waiting for are, Booster covers; feet; centre ankle; holoprojectors; foot motor drives; dome lighting kit; battery hoses; battery boxes and ankle cylinders.  There are now very few parts that I need for completion or at least the structural completion.  The work on the dome alone is enormous and will probably be my next mission.  Once I have all of the parts that need to be painted blue, I'll be going to see the painter and getting a price.




No comments:

Post a Comment